Many people who work and study have a busy schedule. We know that, so we wrote this article to help you if you are having trouble finding the ideal space to efficiently study. To achieve the best productivity outcomes in your routine, you must create an ideal study environment and make the most of it.
Here at Gradehacker we help non traditional students by making their college journey easier. From our years of experience, we have seen how students often get distracted when studying due to their environment. Many students do not pay enough attention to studying in an ideal environment.
In this article we will be listing out six steps that will help you find and create the ultimate study environment. By using these tips, you will be able to get the most out of your studying and avoid distractions!
1) Know Your Near-by Options and Preferences
Do you have a library near your house? Or are you one of those who prefer to study in coffee shops?
Evaluate your options and recognize which environment you like the most. Keep in mind light setting, adequate temperature, and comfort.
There are different types of places you can consider:
- Libraries: This is the classic place for concentration. Libraries are quiet places that usually have access to natural light. It is also common to find semi-private spaces to achieve a more personal ambient.
- Home setting: Libraries are not for everyone and that’s okay! There are those who prefer to study at home. However, when studying at home you should keep in mind that you have many distractions nearby. Design your home-setting to avoid distractions and achieve a more relaxed atmosphere.
- Miscellaneous places: Coffee shops, parks, local community centers, or an empty classroom. There are many options but remember: the important thing is that the place serves your needs.
2) Cleaning and Organizing
Many studies have shown that good organization in the workplace can increase your energy and reduce high-stress levels.
These tips are also super important to avoid study burnout, which seems to be a serious problem among college students.
Keep this in mind when designing your study environment. A clean and organized workplace will help you feel more comfortable when performing study sessions.
3) Know the Risks of Being Too Comfortable
This is a simple enough point: focus on the work you are doing, especially if you chose a home-setting environment. Avoid texting messages, social media, binge-watching YouTube videos, or having too many snack breaks.
4) Take Advantage of Music or Other Activities
For some people, music is an indispensable factor when studying.
Studies have shown that music can serve to increase levels of concentration and reduce levels of anxiety and stress.
Despite this, music is not for everyone. If this is your case, try quick stretching sessions, yoga exercises, or meditation breaks.
5) Always keep your resources with you
You should always be prepared. Have your course material on your phone and access it whenever you have free time.
You can do this in a library, coffee shop, and even while you’re waiting for the subway. It will help you make the most of your time when you are not in your ideal study environment.
6) With a little help from my friends
There are times when long study sessions can be tedious, even in the right place. Your friends can help you with this! Organize group study sessions for dynamic classes.
Also, if you are with your friends, you can share ideas, thoughts, and tools to understand a particular topic. You can also ask questions among yourselves and try to dissolve all possible doubts.
And of course, you should bring snacks to share them with your friends!
Your Ideal Study Environment will be Unique to You
Remember to always take into account your preferences and the things that work best with your routine. There is no one ideal study environment! The environment which will best suit your studying needs may not be the same as your friends.
We understand how frustrating it can be when your environment prevents you from studying properly. We hope that by applying these recommendations you will find your ideal study environment and enhance your productivity!
Are you prone to study burnouts? Check out our article on 6 Little Known Tips to Avoid Study Burnouts.